The Mental Health Services program is designed to train mental health technicians, prevention specialists, and prepare individuals to meet the requirements for testing as a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC). Each program offers a practicum class which allows students to apply classroom skills in a treatment setting.
The Mental Health Clinical and Counseling Psychology, Associate of Applied Science (AAS), is a combination of the Mental Health Tech, Substance Abuse Counseling, and Prevention Specialist certifications. The AAS ensures that you are trained on the spectrum of mental health and substance misuse from prevention to recovery!
Substance Abuse Counseling
Are you a compassionate, willing listener who is ready with support or a kind word during a difficult time? If so, San Jacinto College can give you the training you need to provide counseling and other specialized services to individuals and families suffering the devastating effects of substance abuse.
The San Jacinto College substance abuse counseling training program:
- Prepares students to enter the field of human services and provide specialized services to individuals and their families experiencing the effects of substance abuse;
- Teaches graduates to identify and administer appropriate assessments, diagnosis and treatment of individuals who are, or have been, engaged in substance abuse;
- Requires an internship class where students are placed into a substance abuse facility to apply knowledge learned in the program; and
- Provides students with the necessary educational and employment requirements to become eligible for testing as a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor (LCDC).
Chemical dependency is a problem that takes an enormous emotional and financial toll on society. This is an unfortunate issue, but the silver lining is that there are exceptional individuals, like you, who are determined to reverse it. San Jacinto College can give you the training you need to become a vital part of the solution. We will prepare you to provide counseling and other specialized services to individuals and families suffering from the devastating effects of substance abuse.
Potential work opportunities include:
- Rehab centers,
- Outpatient clinics,
- Veteran’s affairs clinics,
- Alternative schools,
- Research facilities, and
- Pain management clinics and counseling centers.
Mental Health Technician
Are you a caring person, a good listener, and compassionate to others’ needs? Psychiatric aides and technicians observe and record patient behavior and present their findings to counselors, nurses, and other professional staff. They intervene in crisis situations, actively moderate client behavior, and assist with feeding, moving, and dressing patients as well as personal hygiene and activities of daily living. If this sounds like you, San Jacinto College’s mental health counseling career path is for you.
The San Jacinto College mental health services program:
- Is specifically designed to train mental health technicians, both psychiatric aides and technicians;
- Prepares students to care for mentally impaired or emotionally disturbed individuals following physician instructions and hospital procedures;
- Provides psychiatric aides and technicians with the skills to observe and record patient behavior and present their findings to counselors, nurses and other professional staff; and
- Offers training to intervene in crisis situations, actively moderate client behavior, and assist with feeding, moving, and dressing patients as well as personal hygiene and activities of daily living.
Graduates of our program will be able to work in substance abuse and mental health facilities in both private and nonprofit organizations and find opportunities in:
- In-patient psychiatric hospitals,
- Out-patient hospitals,
- Veteran affairs clinics,
- Nursing homes,
- Research facilities,
- Pain management clinics,
- Drug rehab centers, and
- Counseling centers.
You can make a difference in your life by making a difference in the lives of others!
Substance abuse, behavioral disorder, and mental health counselor's salary: $48,623
Psychiatric Technician median salary: $33,232 per year
Source: texaswages.com, Gulf Coast region, 2017
For more information contact 281-998-6150, x7146 or email@example.com